Monday, August 30, 2010

Life goes on...

I’ve been putting this out of my mind for weeks now, not sure if it’s avoidance or I’m actually getting over it. It’s getting easier to forget that I am bankrupt but the fact that I am still technically unemployed and living with my parents is more apparent. I think if I had a job and a place of my own I would hardly even notice at all. I’m dying to see if the Trustee will let me go overseas and visit my sister. I want to go to New York with my mum next year as well. I’ll have to save my arse off to do it but I am determined.

How long has it been now? It’s 15 weeks today, just over three months. It all feels like a bad dream. Another life I left behind. I struggle to recall the anxiety and guilt I was feeling mere weeks ago. Instead I can see that I did the right thing. Absolutely, the right thing. Just like leaving a bad relationship or breaking a bad habit, it feels so wrong in the moment, it feels like you’ll never know a time when it isn’t effecting every minute of your day, taking up all your energy and crowding your brain with thoughts and feelings. But here I am, 15 weeks later and I feel so calm and so remote from that horrible mess.

Even the aftermath, the wrench of giving up everything I valued, has lost its sting.

The quality of life I am enjoying now is such a surprise. Just to sit in the sun with a cup of tea and not have my mind wander into an anxiety minefield. Nothing else compares.

Still, I might buy a lotto ticket this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment